David A. Carrier, M.D.
Orthopaedic Surgeon in Rochester, NY
Dr. David Carrier is an Orthopaedic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons who has been practicing in Rochester, NY since 1995. He grew up in Pittsford, NY, went to Union College and graduated with a Mechanical Engineering degree, and then went to the University of Rochester for medical school. He continued on at URMC for his Orthopaedic residency training. Dr. Carrier has developed a special interest and expertise in hip and knee joint replacement surgeries. He also performs knee arthroscopies, ACL reconstructions, shoulder arthroscopies, rotator cuff repairs, and surgical repair of fractures.
Dr. Carrier takes pride in his clinical skills which are paramount to accurate evaluation and diagnosis of each patient’s problems. Following a thorough evaluation, the best individualized treatment for each patient is determined. He feels it is important to let patients explain their problems thoroughly and then establish their goals to create a personalized treatment plan.
When not working Dr. Carrier keeps busy with his family and is a sports enthusiast. Over the years he has competed in soccer, baseball, and professional ski racing. He has been an avid windsurfer, mountain and dirt biker, skier, and exercises daily so he can continue to keep up with his children and maintain an active lifestyle. He also enjoys woodworking and has created a number of fine hardwood furniture pieces for his home.
- Clinical Instructor Rochester Institute of Technology Physician Assistant Program
- Clinical Mentor Lemoyne College Physician Assistant Program
- Daemen College Physician Assistant Clinical Instructor in Orthopaedics
- Mentor for Pittsford Central Schools Summer Internship Program
- Pittsford-Mendon High School, 1980
- Union College, Schenectady, NY, Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 1980-1984
- University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Medical Doctor, 1986-1990
- University of Rochester Department of Surgery, Surgical Internship, 1990 – 1991
- University of Rochester Department of Orthopaedics, Orthopaedic Residency 1991 – 1995
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Medical Association
- Medical Society of the County of Monroe
- Medical Society of New York State
- New York State Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- University of Rochester Clinical Instructor in Orthopaedics
- Monroe County Medical Society Board, May 1996 – August 1999.
- Rochester General Hospital Medical Staff Board, May 1996 – August 1999
- New York State Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons, District 10 Director, December 1998 – 2002.
- Rochester General Hospital Orthopaedic Quality Assurance Chairman, 2000-present
- Monroe County Medical Society Delegate, 2001 – 2004.
- Rochester General Hospital Joint Replacement Center Board Member. 2008 – Present.
- Rochester General Hospital Acute Care Surgery Committee 2017- present
- Rochester General Hospital Sterile Processing Center Steering Team. Nov, Dec 2018
- Mentor, Pittsford Schools, Career Internship Program 2014-2018
Research and Publications:
- Osteoarthritis. Submitted as chapter for publication in Primary Care of Women, first edition. J.B. Lippincott Company.
- Cementless Miller-Galante Total Knee Replacement: 2.5 to 9.3 year Clinical and Radiographic Follow-up. Presented at 6th Annual Plato Schwartz Lectureship, June 1995, and Orthopaedic Guild meeting October, 1995.
- Ankle Arthrodesis With Vertical Steinmann’s Pins in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, Volume 268:10-14, July 1991.
- Bilateral Hip and Bilateral Knee Arthroplasties in a Patient with Ochronotic Arthropathy. Orthopaedic Review, Volume 19(11):1005-9, November, 1990
- Wind Tunnel Tests of Diagnostic Method for Stenotic Heart Valves. Union College Senior Thesis, May 1984.
- “Postoperative Fracture Management”. AO/ASIF Orthopaedic Trauma: Team Approach to Fracture Management. Rochester, New York, August 9-10,1996.
- “Orthopaedic Emergencies”. Rochester General Hospital Trauma Conference, May 21, 1996
- “Musculoskeletal Injuries”. University of Rochester EMT Course, January 7, 1997.
- “Back Injuries”. Genesee Regional EMS Conference ’97, April 12, 1997.
- “Knee Joint Replacement; Implant Technology and Patient Management.” HCR Nursing and Physical Therapist Intraining, June 5, 1997.
- “Technologic Advances in Joint Replacement”, HCR, April 7, 2006
- “Current Trends in Joint Replacements” , HCR Physical Therapist Seminar, Nazareth College, October 17,2009.
- “Total Joint Replacement”, Sports PT, April 4, 2016.
- “Total Hip Replacement, For better and sometimes worse”, Lattimore PT, October 12, 2017.
- “Trials and Triumphs on the Road to Orthopaedic Surgery”, Gelfand Lecture, SUNY Geneseo, April 10, 2018.
- “When is it Time to Have a Hip or Knee Replacement”, GVPT Community Seminar, Perinton Rec Center, February 19, 2020. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Aob8ClBPLk&t=9s
Online Pre-Op Class Video
Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Carrier in Rochester!
If you’re seeking an experienced, board-certified orthopaedic surgeon in the Rochester area, contact Rochester Community Orthopaedics today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Carrier.
Dr. Carrier Featured Review
“David Carrier did both of my wife’s hips. She was once wheelchair bound, now she is doing 10 mile walks and 2 hour elliptical machine. All documented on her fitbit. Thank you Sir, me and my wife thank you. You are truly the best I’ve seen.”